Our mission is to protect the health and biodiversity of river ecosystems, and to protect the rights of communities negatively impacted by large-scale river development.
We seek a country in which the rights of peoples and communities to their rivers and natural resources are respected, protected, and promoted. We believe that consumption and distribution of resources must be based on principles of ecological sustainability and social justice.
To develop a strong network in Burma to achieve our mission, we:
- work to monitor and stop destructive river development
- promote meaningful public participation in decision-making, especially for indigenous communities
- promote alternative energy and water-use solutions
- strengthen social forces to advocate to development stakeholders for improved development processes
- develop broad public support for affected communities